Youth are expected to be sincere,
honest and act in sportsmanlike ways at all times. Youth represent the entire
program and their behavior reflects on their parents, leaders, club and the
entire youth program. All adults involved with the youth program, leaders as
well as parents, are expected to set positive examples and serve as positive
role models by what they say and do. Any youth who breaks the code of ethics or
allows another person (adult or peer) to talk them into violating the code of
ethics agrees to forfeit all prizes, awards, and premiums. The youth may also be
prohibited from exhibiting at this and future exhibitions including the Iowa
State Fair and other county, state or regional exhibitions.
Youth agree to follow these guidelines:
1. I will do my own work, appropriate for
my age and physical and mental development. This includes research and writing
of exhibit explanations, preparing exhibits (such as sewing, cooking,
refinishing, etc.), care and grooming of animals, etc. Adult assistance should
help guide and support me, not do it for me.
2. All exhibits will be a true representation of my work. Any attempt to take
credit for other’s work, alter the conformation of animals, or alter their
performance is prohibited. Copyright violation or allowing others to complete
your exhibit is considered misrepresentation and is prohibited.
3. I will treat all people and animals with respect. I will provide appropriate
care for animals.
4. I will present exhibits that are safe for consumption. All food exhibits will
be safe to exhibit and for judges to evaluate. Other exhibits will be safe for
judges to evaluate and for exhibition.
5. All food animals that may be harvested immediately following the show shall
be safe for consumers, and shall have met all withdrawal times for all
medications, and be free of violative drug residue.
6. If any animal requires medical treatment while at the fair or exhibition,
only a licensed veterinarian may administer the treatment. All medications that
are administered shall be done according to the label instructions of the
7. My animal’s appearance or performance shall not be altered by any means,
including medications, external applications and surgical procedures. Any animal
that is found to have changed its appearance or its performance shall be
disqualified from the show, and have penalties assessed against the exhibitor,
parent and/or guardian by the management of the fair or exhibition.
8. I will follow all ownership and possession rules and, if requested, will
provide the necessary documentation.
9. I will follow all livestock health requirements for this fair or exhibition,
according to the state health requirements as printed in the premium book for
the fair or exhibition. I will provide animal health certificates from a
licensed veterinarian upon request form the management of the fair or
10. By my entering an animal in this fair or exhibition, I am giving consent to
the management of the fair or exhibition to obtain any specimens of urine,
saliva, blood, or other substances from the animal to be used in testing. If the
laboratory report on the analysis of any sample indicates a presence of
forbidden drugs, this shall be evidence such substance has been administered to
the animal either internally or externally. It is presumed that the sample
tested by the laboratory to which it is sent is the one taken from the animal in
question, its integrity is preserved and all procedures of said collection and
preservation, transfer to the laboratory and analysis of the sample are correct
and accurate and the report received from the laboratory pertains to the sample
taken from the animal in question and correctly reflects the condition of the
animal at the time the sample was taken, with the burden on the exhibitor,
parent and/or guardian to prove otherwise.
11. I am responsible for my exhibit and I will not allow others to violate this
code on my behalf. By my entering an exhibit in this fair or exhibition I will
accept any disciplinary action taken by the management of the fair or exhibition
for any violation of this code of ethics and any other rules of competition of
the fair or exhibition without recourse against the fair or exhibition.
12. I want my exhibit to be an example of how to accept what life has to offer,
both good and not so good, and how to live with and learn from the outcome.
13. I will not be involved in any illegal activities while participating in 4-H
and FFA events, including but not limited to alcohol, tobacco or drug use.
complaints must be in writing and be accompanied by a $50 fee. This fee will be
refunded in the event of a founded complaint.
2. Complaint must be filed before 5 PM the day prior to the auction.
3. Complaint must be filed at the fair office on the grounds.
4. The party filing the complaint will pay any testing costs incurred.
5. The Fair Board’s Complaint Committee will promptly investigate the complaint.
6. The decision of the committee is final.